Tuesday, April 13, 2010

How good (or bad) is running for you?

I have clients who are competitive runners. Hopefully, after they finish reading this, they'll still be clients! (Sheryl, you reading this?)

I make it no secret that I'm not a fan of running.

A 3-mile jog here or there is fine, but when it comes to running long distances like half and full 26.2 mile marathons, I have a few major problems:

1. Long distance running may wreak havoc on the body's joints over time.
2. It depletes your body's ability to produce cortisol, the hormone that fights stress.
3. May potentially reduce your muscle mass

I think there are far better activities for fat burning that are safer on the joints such as power walking up hills or stairs, or kettlebell training (Disclaimer: I have a biased opinion since I teach kettlebells).

But some people just love to run, whether it's for the mind-clearing effects, endorphin rush, endurance factor or for goal setting.

If you're one of those people who love to run, the following advise may keep you injury free and preserve what strength you do have.

1. Supplement your running with some form of resistance training to keep your joints happy and properly functioning.
2. Warm up properly and include joint mobility warm-ups (which I teach as well).
3. If you're running for more than an hour, make sure to supplement your run with enough carbohydrates to sustain your energy. The body likes to use carbs for fuel. It will only burn a limited amount of carbs and fat before it starts using your own muscle tissue as fuel.
4. Speaking of which, make sure you are eating enough protein and natural fat to support the muscle tissue you do have.
5. Consume sea salt and trace minerals to replenish electrolytes. I prefer Redmond Real Salt.
6. Try to stretch 6-8 hours after a run, when your muscles need it the most.
7. Invest in the best shoes money can buy.
8. Walk barefoot often on grass, dirt or sand to strengthen your feet.
9. Don't walk with flip flops; they are terrible for your feet.
10. Get regular bodywork therapy (like my Thai stretch therapy) often

I prefer exercises that add muscle tissue and burn fat without stressing the adrenals. I don't think running is one of them. But if you are a runner and adapt some of these measures above, you'll be able to run for decades to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment